Monday, March 09, 2009

No baby yet...





Our Giving and Receiving Ceremony is now scheduled for Tuesday, which is tomorrow here. Now a little catch-up since leaving Hong Kong:

We arrived in HCMC and found a driver waiting for us when we came out of the airport. The airport was wild – so many people! The drive was interesting. The first thing I noticed was that there appeared to be some kind of [dead] bird under the seat in the van. Of course it was right under where I was sitting. Audrey took some pictures as she was sitting behind me.

The traffic here is insane! Cars, motorcycles, scooters, and bicycles all drive together. The best description I can give is that it’s loosely organized chaos. Sometimes there seems to be lights and sometimes not. It doesn’t seem to make a difference. Audrey’s a bit obsessed about the traffic and can’t stop taking pictures. The pictures don’t do it justice though. We’ve seen people carrying what would be considered truckloads of goods on motorcycles, including ladders, air conditioners, piled produce, baskets, and Tupperware. Really, anything you can think of that wouldn’t belong on a motorcycle. We also had a near-collision with a woman who was eating and talking on a cell phone while riding a bicycle. Our cab almost collided with her and she actually gave us a dirty look as if the driver was the one not paying attention! Audrey thought it was interesting that we’re so preoccupied with car seats in North America when over here there are toddlers riding on motorbikes with no seat belt or special seats. They’re just hanging on! Oh, and did I mention that people drive their motorcycles on the sidewalk too? I’m not sure I’ll come home with all 10 toes intact, as I’ve already had a few close calls!

We spent the rest of the day getting our bearings and trying not to sleep. Norah finally gave in and fell asleep around 6:30 PM and Doug and Audrey followed about an hour later with me not too far behind them.

Notable quotes from the day:

“Their snow is all melted” - Norah, upon arriving in Vietnam and seeing all the green at the airport.

“I’m a Dongionnaire!” - Audrey, after trading $100 CAD for over a million Vietnamese Dong.

“I’m keeping my Dong out.” – Doug, having just put the American and Canadian money we brought in the hotel safe.

“There’s a bird under my butt.” – Lisa, see above for explanation.

Lesson of the day: She who hesitates stands on the corner for a really long time.

Pictures: Traffic in HCMC; Doug and Norah walking on the sidewalk with traffic; bird under the seat in van on the way to hotel; Norah doing my hair while I’m having a snack at the Hong Kong airport

3 comments:

Commonstickleback said...

Woo hoo Im rich too. Dongionnaire....I like the sound of that!

"Dougs keeping his dong out" sounds like a new RAP song.

If I had to guess I'd say its a chicken under your seat. Maybe that where the driver keeps his lunch.

Jamie and Angela said...

Can't wait for your next post!

Anonymous said...

Lisa, I love reading your descriptions!!! Can't wait for the next one!
Tell Norah I say hi!!!!