Thursday, March 09, 2006

Thursday, March 9: We've arrived!

Well, here we are on the other side of the world and nothing has changed – Doug’s sound asleep and I’m wide awake at the computer! This, of course, is despite the fact that he slept on both flights and I did not. We flew to Beijing through Vancouver. Considering how long we were on a plane, it wasn’t so bad. We traveled with Joanne and Doug, who are from Kitchener and also in our group. We met them last summer and have gotten together with them a number of times since then. They are wonderful people and we feel so fortunate that they live so close by. Their daughter, Sara, is in the same orphanage as Norah. It’s strange to think that they already know one another, but we have yet to meet them.

We haven’t seen too much yet. We arrived in time to check in and get some dinner. Although my noble intentions to learn Mandarin never did inspire much action, I did manage to master the phrase for “spicy deep fried tofu” (vegetable proved impossible for me to pronounce). We went to a local restaurant for dinner and the waitress spoke very limited English. I’m proud to say that I tried out my one phrase and it worked! We dined on some delicious tofu and veggies and the food was so cheap we ended up giving the waitress a huge tip, to which she responded, “See you tomorrow night.” We then went to a local supermarket and bought some beer, Pringles, and water (in order of importance, according to Doug).

It’s still hard to believe we’re actually here. So far, it just feels like a regular vacation. We don’t think it will really sink in until Norah is placed in our arms. Well, I’m off to try and sleep. Tomorrow we go to an acrobatics show and maybe take in a little shopping

4 comments:

Just Us Girls said...

Glad to hear you arrived safe and sound.
I hope you catch up on some sleep before GOTCHA DAY!!

Congrats.
CY

Catherine said...

Congratulations! It won't be long now.

I look forward to following your journey to Norah!

Anonymous said...

I am so excited for you - and it is not a surprise to me that some things don't change even halfway around the globe!

Keep posting, this is a great way to be part of your journey.

Anonymous said...

So exciting guys - we are thinking of you and can't wait to get the update once you get to the orphanage... Doug - get your last bit of sleep now dude... Lisa - your sleep habbits have you wel-prepared for motherhood:)